Friday, April 21, 2006

......

Have you ever had this experience? You are sitting in the cab to go home and some one in your team calls you to tell there is a bug in your code and you have to come back. Well I had to undergo this inhuman treatment today.

It was 8.30. I was on the way to main gate, my phone started ringing, the no… oh shit… it’s the office landline no. I knew from a past experience that something was amiss. Dint want to pickup the phone, but if I was destined to suffer who could prevent? I picked up the cursed phone.

The module lead on the other side says “Srikanth…”
“Wait… Don’t tell there is some bug. I am already near the cab” I say facetiously
“Actually, in the EventTemplate Manager, confirmation message is coming twice”
“Yaar it’s a simple fix. Don’t make me stay for 2-3 hours for a job that takes hardly 5 minutes. Why don’t you yourself look into it?”
There is a pause of few seconds
“Ok. I will do it”
“Thanks yaar. And sorry”
“It’s ok”

I go and sit in the cab. Two minutes later, the dreaded phone rings again. The same no again.
“Hello Srikanth. I have other work to look into some other issues. I don’t have time. Why don’t you come back man? We will arrange a cab at 9.30 for you”
“Ok. I am coming” I replied with a mixture of sadness and anger in my tone
“Sorry yaar”
“Its ok”

I don’t know how many times I used the ‘F’ word before reaching the office. I whole heartedly cursed that module lead and the company ( don’t know why company got victimised :) ). I opened the door and without looking at that guy I just rushed to my system. Phew! I had shutdown my system!!! :( A software engineer shutting his system is like raining in summer. Few more ‘F’ words come out fluently. I switch on the system and that guy comes from behind and says “Sorry man… I have some other work”. I say “Its ok” demurely without turning back.

This is not the first time it happened. Some time ago I was called back to fix a “minor” issue because of which I had to stay till 5 am. The problem is you might fix the bug in 5-10 minutes, but there are no other cabs and you have to wait till the last person in your route is ready to leave. Moreover food won’t be good in the evenings.

The first thing I did was to open a empty word document to write a blog in protest of this inhuman practice. I felt like "bali ka bakra". Started the IDE and the server and then the client. Saw the issue and fixed it in two minutes. Then it took some 5 minutes to deploy the code and restart the client and test it. Works fine. Checked in file. Done. Then I went to have dinner. Another cab was about to leave by the time I completed my dinner. I wanted to complete this blog before my anger reduced, before I could soften my stand, before I could lose out that flow. Told the office boy that I would leave in the 9.45 cab. Its 9.49 now and my mission is accomplished.

can anyone suggest a suitable title?

7 comments:

  1. its a pity if u think that this was an inhuman treatment...if u think that way then what shall i cal the treatment i get very frequently at my office....it happens to every tom, dick n harry in IT industry....title..hmm...i think 'bali ka bhakra' would fit in....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly need to get trained by me dude....
    '101 ways to escape from work '
    - I have it ready:-)
    Wanna try??

    ReplyDelete
  4. bindu & Varadha - Thanks for the titles. I like to put Varadha's title but iam thinking if my readers would be scared away by the language :) As for inhuman treatment, it was just a exaggeration. Perhaps i should have put a smiley at the end to help you understand!!
    And bindu, stop generalising man... this doesn't happen to every tom dick and harry ok. First ask yourself if you have to wait for some dick head for 2-3 hours to leave the office...

    @Vinay - Thanks man.. i would like to see that '101 ways to escape from work' in your blog soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its the way how you look at things .. Your perspective - Inhuman Treatment .. Getting things done appropriately to meet deadline - Your TL's perspective .. It is you who has chosen the industry and u have bear with it ... Why dont you do UT properly instead of barking on ur TL ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm...you know; it's not as hard as you think...the inhuman treatment has a rather human solution ;)
    simple; when the second call came; conveniently telll that 'Oh I'm sorry...the cab's already left the office...will fix it tomrw!' :D
    You know what I mean!
    You won't have to work beyond the 'legal' timelines; unless you permit yourself to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deja Vu of IT people!!

    How is it?

    Not sure if it convinces you :) Do let me know if you use it :). I ll be glad to know

    ReplyDelete